I was privileged to spend Friday evening with my father-in-law, David Dawson. He had been to see the Rangers before, but it had been years. I was a bit nervous because David and I haven’t spent a lot of time together, without Kim; so I wasn’t sure exactly how the evening would go. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that David knew baseball. He knew old players, stats, and was quite the baseball fan at one time. We enjoyed our night together and I’m thankful for the time spent with him.
During our trip to the ballpark, we sat and watched as Harrison went six and two-thirds innings without allowing a hit. Nobody in the ballpark would breathe a word about a no-hitter, for fear that it may jinx the game. I was so excited and hoped he’d pitch his first no-hitter and I’d be able to say I saw it in person… but, he didn’t. However, he did hold the Twins to just two hits for the ballgame and got the shut-out, so that’s quite the accomplishment in itself.
Now, I can say that it was a history making night! Beltre hit for the cycle. For those who may not know what that is, he simply hit one of each type of hit in the ballgame. He hit a single, double, triple, and a homerun. I say simply, but this was no simple task at all. To put it in perspective, only 6 Rangers have accomplished this in their 40 year history. I was there; I witnessed that little piece of history take place. So, that made me happy.
After David and I went home, Kim and I stayed up late and watched a movie. It’s a movie that was recommended to Kim that, at the time, all we knew was that it was about a funeral director. She heard it was funny, so we watched. Turns out, it’s a true story about a man who is every funeral home manager or owner’s nightmare. He befriended older widows whom he assisted with their funeral needs. He went too far though and would end up swindling money from them. I don’t want to give the whole story away, so I’ll stop; but it was funny and sad at the same time. It had a little language, so I’ll give that warning to you before recommending it to watch.
Saturday, Kim and I ended up at the ballpark, in line at the Season Ticket Gate. We arrived earlier than normal because the first 30,000 fans received their own Ron Washington Bobblehead Doll. I couldn’t pass this opportunity up, so we were extra early, much to Kim’s dismay…
We stood in line and struck up a conversation with the people directly in front of us, a kind couple who were talkative, which in a line, at a ballgame, if they’re nice, I enjoy. We talked about the game, the weather, and then randomly the lady said, “Have y’all seen the movie “Bernie”?” Kim and I were startled because we had just seen it. We said yes and she proceeded to tell us that her husband was the real Danny Buck Davidson, District Attorney, which Matthew McConaughey played in the movie. I was skeptical, so he pulled out his business card to prove it. We were shocked at the irony!! I then made it ironic for them and told them of my profession, which just made for even more conversation. They just wanted to make certain I wasn’t like “Bernie” and I assured them I was not! I got Mr. Davidson’s autograph, we got a photograph with him, and made new friends.
The weekend was memorable, to say the least. I watched history be made, got my bobblehead, and met a man with a claim to fame! Go Rangers!
No comments:
Post a Comment